Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pants: V2.1 - Getting Better!

First of all, thank you so much to those of you who gave me fitting advice on my last post (including Lena who emailed me some advice and Suzy who sent me awkward fitting pictures)!  I was seriously floundering, and you all prooved how talented, skilled, and generous this community is.  THANK YOU!

I haven't quite followed all of their smart advice yet, but I wanted to show my progress before I disappear for 2 weeks for my next work rotation.

All I've done is drastically taken in the outer side seams - up to 2 inches in places.  I still need to take in the inner seam, but that'll have to wait until my next time out.  I will also, at some point, be lowering the front a bit (by hacking a bit off the top this time, but I'll alter my pattern for that later).  The raw seam allowance is sitting about as high as I want the waistband to be.  But they're already starting to look like wearable pants!

I just noticed how low the left side is. I think it's just drooped from running back and forth to the camera because it was fine earlier.
Well, from the front anyways.  The back needs a lot of work still, particularly lowering the back crotch seam.  I've also added two more darts to the back to reduce gaping.  Got some butt nipples going on there, but I'll fix that later.




















There's still lots of fabric around the knees, but I think taking in the inner seam will help with that.  I also suspect I'll have to take it in a bit more from the outer side seam, but I want to resolve the back crotch issues before I do that, just to see what it messes with when I do.  Pants are complicated and messy.

Everything is just basted together, except one inside seam and the pockets.  Once all of my alterations are made, I'll mark up the right seamlines and trim down the seam allowance, rip it apart, alter my pattern, then sew it all together properly (and hope it goes together properly again).

Sadly, I now have to leave these be while I go back to work tomorrow.  :(  I wish I had a couple more days to work on these, but it's better to leave it alone and not try to rush the alterations. 

I guess.

You guys have a good and productive time sewing!  See you in a couple weeks.  :)

10 comments:

  1. They are looking really good! If you take in the inner leg seam that should get rid of the excess at your knees (dont take from the crotch seam length just curve in the inner seam from the crotch/mid thigh down. Hope that makes sense!) :) Once you hem them they should hang a lot nicer from your knee down as well.
    I always have to lower the front waistband on my pants too but its a really easy adjustment, just scoop it out!
    Keep at it (once you get home again), I think you are going to end up with a really nice pair of pants and a great adjusted pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured I'd just take in the inside seam from about an inch or two below the crotch to the foot. I didn't want to go near the crotch seam length. :)

      I'm feeling really good about these!

      Delete
  2. These are looking really good. I freaking love the pockets. Expect me to knock them off! Also I looked through the fitting comments and it's awesome to have so many talented readers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are getting there. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking in the outside seams helped so much already, I'm feeling good about these pants. :)

      Delete
  4. So much better! I can't sew at all right now, I totally get how you feel having to leave them.

    I almost always end up lowering the front rise, and wishing I had a bit more height in the back...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so much better! Good work! Once you get one pattern figured out, you can apply the changes to any new pattern and have great pants the fit you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so much better! Good work! Once you get one pattern figured out, you can apply the changes to any new pattern and have great pants the fit you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so much better! Good work! Once you get one pattern figured out, you can apply the changes to any new pattern and have great pants the fit you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...