Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Love Letter to a Summer Skirt

Pockets!

Oh my darling, I can not describe what you mean to me. You are beautiful, with your jewel-tone flowers and ivory background, you are a sight to be seen. When I saw you across the second-hand store, hanging out with the drapery, it was love at first sight. The other curtains paled in comparison to your brilliance!

Why did we waste so much time apart, my love? Why couldn't we have met long ago?

Decorative stitch along yoke facing.

Before that fateful day, I'd searched everywhere for you, for a fabric with just your spunk and character and joy for life. But I knew, as soon as I laid eyes on you, that you were the one. And oh, you looked so charming, done up as a curtain, made to adorn a window for all to see. But I knew you could be more! I knew what you were truly meant to be! A short summery skirt!

With you lovingly in hand, we searched the pattern books for ages to find the perfect skirt pattern that would show you off in all your splendor. But then, there it was, the perfect skirt to display you in all your loveliness: New Look 6873!

Oh, the simple lines, the slight flair, the yoke, the pockets! I think you knew it was perfect too, you practically put yourself together! Even installing your lapped zipper was like a dream! Before I knew it, you were born again as a beautiful summer skirt, and if it's possible, I fell in love with you even more.

Lapped zipper along right side, next to pocket. POCKETS!!

Finished all seams by zigzagging to reduce bulk.

I know I should be packing for my impromptu move back to Kingston today to complete the loathsome Thesis, but I couldn't stand the thought of leaving without you. With you at my side, I know that my dreaded task will be more bearable; nay, almost fun!

We were meant to be, my darling. I love you!

(I've been reading way too many romance novels of late.)

5 comments:

  1. Your skirt looks very nice!! I love the way you wrote the post. ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Nice job...I love the pockets as well. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, thanks! It was inspired by a post written by Steph at 3 Hours Past the Edge of the World when she broke up with a project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fun fabric. I can see why you adore it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, you love the skirt! The fabric is great and the lines of the skirt (with the angled pocket) are slimming. You look terrific wearing it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...